Wednesday, August 29, 2007

Preaching in the Pit!









caught on film! A Southern-Baptist sort preacher, preaching at the Pit (where most students gather between classes) in UNC! Debating with students, and pissing many of them off. O man, he pisses me off, even though I've been raised in church.

He thinks that Catholics, and gays are going to hell. Ok, so some Protestants believe that (but not me). He also claims that by Jesus's blood he does not sin anymore (bad theology), and denies the power of original sin (bad theology again). The best part is, when a Christian came to point out his errors he hollered at her and made her cry and told her to stop shedding those "crocodile tears". These are the hell-fire extreme Christians who don't know what they are talking about, yet who insist that they are right, that I dislike.

I mean, I admire your courage and fervour, friend, but not much else.
And you wonder why so many people hate Christians.

I think one good thing about Bartley (my church) is that they don't expect us all to toe the line when it comes to personal beliefs. They allow some deviation, as long as we love God, and they try to draw us back to God when we are far. Essentially the discipline is lax. I don't feel discriminated against although I believe that gays are cool, and that evolution is more likely true than creationism.
Eisen left his church cos of the Church discipline, and because he was forced to believe all sort of Christian man-made theology.

A lot of what we are taught in Churches is actually man-made, the product of the Protestant Reformation. Luther's ideas are preached in the pulpits without attribution to the fact that these were the ideas of select men in Church history. For example, the idea that every man should draw spiritual water from the Bible only, thus bypassing the Magisterium (teaching authority) of the Church, was a man-made doctrine in itself. In essence, however, the Protestant Church has many Magisteria, telling us what to believe and not to believe, abeit in less visible forms than the Roman Catholic Church.

Ok sorry for rambling. Ask me if you want to know more. I'm taking a course on the Protestant Reformation now. I need to know the roots of my faith, much like a child needs to know who his parents are.

Why doesn't anyone in any church tell us about the Reformation? This is important stuff man, knowing how our church came to be.
But I think I'll probably always be a Christian. Just allow me to come to my own conclusions, and don't force me to swallow everything you teach.
And, to be frank, who really cares if I believe in evolution? Like it really affects my "Christian-ness", or my love for God.
I love and believe God if I choose to, not because I believe in the Genesis account of creation.
But then, if I don't believe in the Genesis account, does that mean that I believe the Bible has error?
Actually I believe that the Bible could have error, but that God is perfect.
Afterall, the books of the Bible were compiled by the early Church, by a gang of Church Fathers who (Protestants believe) could have been fallible.
Look, if you don't believe that the Pope is infalliable, then the early Church Fathers could have been falliable too, right? So they may have messed up some of the Bible right?
Why would God protect these Church Fathers from error when compiling His Bible, yet not protect the Popes from error?
... And I can go on and on....
Jon

No comments: