Friday, December 21, 2007

stop checking out the guys, jon, and chat with us...

... so said Alexius to me. We were at The Bar, a club at the Gay Mecca of the world, the Castro of San Francisco. But of course I needed to check out the guys, it was the thing to do in the gayest district in the gayest city in the world!

And truth be told, many gay guys are just damn hot lar. Everybody's sexuality is a continuum, between absolute homosexuality and absolute heterosexuality, and mine's probably 90 or 95% hetero. Which of course, means I have 5-10% of gayness and bisexuality to play with. I'd probably never have sex with a guy, or even come close, but sitting down and just looking at hot guys is cool.

Having said that, I really am pretty straight, so my support of gay rights and gay marriage is more a matter of empathy and principle more than anything.

Met this gay shopkeeper, and he gave me a couple of things from his shop as gifts. Took a photo with me too, but I didn't ask his name. He was married to a woman, discovered he was gay, and divorced, and had been living in SF for the past 30 years (he used to be British, now American). Way cool guy. He's dated men ever since his divorce. And his son tends the shop with him, and is also gay. Perhaps it's genetic and/or social after all.

And he asked me (for the first time in my life) if I had a boyfriend. And I was like yeah, I'm single, but I'm straight, and it's just that I really feel very strongly about homo rights. And he told me to have fun at night, but "not do anything (he'd) do". Ah, the British wit, he still hadn't lost it.

But I like gay bars. Had gone to a bar in Chapel Hill on gay night, and I went to 2 bars on consecutive nights in the Castro. Gay clubs tend to be more enjoyable, and less sleazy than straight ones. Gays tend to be nicer, more friendly, more helpful, more agreeable and considerate than straight clubbers. Straight clubbers (males) tend to be aggressive, in-your-face, inconsiderate, and shamelessly horny. I feel that we can have more good clean fun at a gay club than a straight club, cos gays probably appreciate the fact that we just want to have clean fun and keep out of trouble. Sensitivity and a feminine side make them nice and agreeable people to club with, while the excessive testosterone in their blood just makes many straight clubbers rowdy and downright dangerous. Ok I'm overgeneralising, many straight people (guys) are well-behaved too, but I've not seen one instance of misbehaviour in gay clubs while so many straight guys are getting into fights and molesting girls and other bullshit on Franklin Street on Chapel Hill. Whatever. Violence and rowdiness is not equal to manliness, and people need to learn this. But it seems that American society does seem to teach that violence and bad behaviour and molesting/raping girls are tentamount to manliness. The tragedy.

Hrm perhaps I'm so biased cos the only straight clubbers I've been seeing the past few months are stupid horny desperate violent underclassmen on Franklin Street. I hope that maturity will teach them to behave. As well as most of the gays are behaving.

Anyway.

It's so weird that the girls I know who share my ideas on homosexuality are so disagreeable to me in terms of character and compatibility. Girls who feel strongly about politics and social issues like me, just do not click with me. I probably just like girls who are intelligent and interested (in issues), not activist. The girl-next-door type who think with their hearts more than their heads.

No comments: